Sunday, September 27, 2009

Initial Tests_ sound frequency effects on liquids

I composed a small rough study to see what liquids react easily to the frequency of sound taking into account the overall effect of the vibration on those liquids. My initial results have determined that the membrane seperating the speakers must be thin (in my experiment I used plastic wrap, but the analog would need to use a material of greater durability). Also, the layer of liquid in the analysis must be a thin flat layer for maximum visibility of the reaction.















My study object consisted of a small computer speaker inside of a mixing bowl (as to allow the saran wrap to span the surface of the speaker without direct contact). The loudness of these test speakers does not yet reach the frequency needed for a high level of displacement.

This is a quick video of my results, in which milk was quite reactive, which olive oil did not show any visible signs of affect. For both of the examples that I tested I used a computer generated note pairing of F and G.

No comments:

Post a Comment